Nobody likes unwanted acne breakouts and the scars which they leave behind are even more bothersome. However, they do not have to be permanent given the numerous homemade solutions at our disposal. If you’re looking for Home remedies, though, there are still options you can try to remove pimple mark from Skin.
What are pimple marks ?
Pimple marks are dark spots or hyper-pigmentation left behind on skin after the pimple heals. It is a post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). PIH is nothing but discoloration of a skin after a wound heals. It is skin’s natural response to inflammation.
These marks are generally flat areas of discolouration on your skin. They won’t appear as raised bumps but as flat spots in dark color. The spot can be pink, red, purple, brown, or black, depending on your skin tone and the depth of the discolouration.
Acne scars are also post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation but they differ in their appearance and texture from pimple marks. The difference between both of them and relevant natural remedies and treatment for pimple marks will be discussed further in this blogpost.
Why do we get pimple marks?
Pimple marks and acne scars are a natural response of your skin while your pimple is healing. When the skin heals after a pimple or acne, it produces more melanin at that area of the skin. By the time the pimple subsides, you’re left with pimple marks or scars from the natural healing process which involves increased melanin production.
Difference between pimple marks and acne scars
Now, many people think pimple marks and acne scars are the same. FYI, they’re not.Period.
Pimple marks, in simple words, are dark spots left behind after the pimple has gone. They are just temporary discolouration of the skin which generally fades away overtime.They are flat in appearance and are not like raised bumps.
According to experts, it takes about 6-12 months for pimple marks to go away on its own. If you want to accelerate the removal process of pimple marks, you can use natural remedies or even over the counter products. Both of them have shown to be useful in removing pimple marks. In this post, we will be discussing five powerful natural remedies which can help remove pimple marks. So, hang on with us if you want to say goodbye to your pimple marks.
Acne scars, on the other hand, are more serious than pimple marks. They can be either due to loss of tissue leaving a pitted or depressed area. They can also be a thick and raised surface from the skin due to excessive collagen production during the acne healing process. Acne scars are generally permanent and require more invasive treatment. They don’t go away with the use of natural remedies or over-the-counter (OTC) products. Pimple marks are neither pitted nor raised. They’re simply darker than the surrounding skin area.
So, now that you know the good news that pimple marks can be removed naturally at home, let's check some natural ingredients which are easily available at home in your kitchen. These home remedies have been found very effective in getting rid of those stubborn spots and marks. Here are five home remedies for acne & pimple related marks and spots.
Here are 5 Home Remedies for Acne Scar
1 Apple Cider Vinegar
Did you know that the inflammatory properties and acids in Apple cider vinegar reduce the appearance of scars by promoting cell regeneration?
Here’s what you can do.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of water
- Gently apply the mixture to the scars using a cotton ball
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes, then rinse off with cool water
- Repeat once daily
2 Honey and Lemon Juice
Honey is rich in antioxidants and fastens the healing process while Lemon works as a natural bleach and helps lighten scars.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 10 drops of Lemon juice
- Apply this mixture directly to the affected area gently with your fingers
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and wash off with water
- Repeat once daily.
Potato is known for its healing properties. Its astringent and anti-bacterial qualities can help reduce excess oil, blackheads, and scars.
- Rub a potato slice onto the affected area
- Leave the juice on your face for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse it off with water
- Repeat once daily until you get the results
4 Turmeric & Jojoba Oil
Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and contains healing properties while Jojoba oil repairs skin damage.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of Turmeric with 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil to form a paste
- Apply it to the affected area and leave for 15 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water
- Use it 2-3 times a week
5 Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is a one of the most common home remedy for Skin treatment. In the case of acne, it works similarly to assist the healing process. According to a study, applying aloe vera directly to wounds reduced inflammation and scar tissue size. You can grow the plant Aloe vera yourself or buy from the Drugstore or Online.
- Remove 3-4 healthy leaves at a time, choosing thick leaves from the outer
- sections of the plant.
- Cut them close to the stem.
- Wash and dry the leaves.
- Trim the prickly edges with a knife.
- Separate the gel from the outside of the leaf.
- Cut the aloe gel into slices or cubes.
- Mix it well & Apply on Skin.
Prevention tips for pimple marks
- Keep your face always clean. Use a mild and natural cleanser for washing your face. You can check out Soultree’s range of face cleansers for acne-prone skin.
- Exfoliation is a must. Exfoliate regularly at least once a week. Again use chemical-free products.
- Never go to bed with make-up on. Use a clean cotton pad to remove make-up to avoid clogging up of pores.
- Use a chemical-free makeup remover. SoulTree’s Aloe & Rose Water cleansing lotion is a perfect makeup remover which effectively removes dirt and impurities but still being gentle on the skin.
- Never touch or pop any pimple. It may lead to deeper spots on the skin.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight. If you spend a lot of time in the sun, make sure you wear sunscreen all the time.
- A healthy diet is important to prevent breakouts and lesser breakouts means lesser spots. Include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet. Drink enough water to keep your skin hydrated.
Note: The above tips don’t work for removing pimple spots and marks. However, they’ll help you have lesser breakouts which means lesser spots and marks from the breakout. If your pimples and acne don’t go away after two weeks, make sure you see a dermatologist. You could have hormonal imbalance or any other skin condition causing the acne.
Those were some of the natural ways and remedies to deal with pimple marks and spots. One important thing to remember here is that consistency is key. You’ll have to stay consistent with all the home remedies. In a period of about 2-3 months, you can start seeing results.
Now that you know what to do, go on and make the most of these ingredients! You can also try some Organic & Natural Anti Acne Products, which can also help you to get rid of Acne.